Jump to Navigation

Lilly Foundation Helps Fund Carnegie Center Renovations

The former Carnegie Library at 301 North Van Rensselaer Street in Rensselaer had a cornerstone dedication on July 13, 1904. That was the official beginning of the structure we now know as the Carnegie Center. By 1992, a new library was constructed on the former Rensselaer High School site on the corner of Van Rensselaer and Susan Streets. The Carnegie Library closed in 1992.

 
            But this Carnegie building was recycled for a new use. It became the Carnegie Center with the owner, the Jasper Foundation. This process was aided by Indiana Landmarks. Thus, the old library morphed into the Carnegie Center with the help of the Lilly Foundation. It was dedicated as a community cultural center housing the Jasper Foundation and the new Prairie Arts Council. By the efforts of Robert Lewis, President, and Linda Reiners, Director, of the Jasper Foundation, the Carnegie structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 17, 1994. [Full Article at the Rensselaer Republican]

Search

News

News

Presbyterian Seminary is pleased to share W. Sibley Towner's Prayers that Sing & Stir the Heart

Study of the Torah   O God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob — for generations now, our ancestors in the faith have...

ARDA GlobalPlus: Religion and Nationalistic Politics in India

One of the most important test cases of religious and political nationalism is unfolding in India, where a political...

Anglican Archbishop’s Lenten prayer book Written by a Catholic Priest

For those that have followed the close collaboration and friendship between Pope Francis and Archbishop of Canterbury...

Calendar

Wed, Feb 28, 2018 - 08:00 am
By invitation; ATS is marking the 20th anniversary of the Women in Leadership (WIL) initiative with a ga

Popular Tools

Review rank-ordered data on religion in the U.S. and around the world. Includes the latest data from the Religious Congregations & Membership Study, 2010

 

Widget provided by: