Jump to Navigation

Lilly Foundation Helps Fund Carnegie Center Renovations

The former Carnegie Library at 301 North Van Rensselaer Street in Rensselaer had a cornerstone dedication on July 13, 1904. That was the official beginning of the structure we now know as the Carnegie Center. By 1992, a new library was constructed on the former Rensselaer High School site on the corner of Van Rensselaer and Susan Streets. The Carnegie Library closed in 1992.

 
            But this Carnegie building was recycled for a new use. It became the Carnegie Center with the owner, the Jasper Foundation. This process was aided by Indiana Landmarks. Thus, the old library morphed into the Carnegie Center with the help of the Lilly Foundation. It was dedicated as a community cultural center housing the Jasper Foundation and the new Prairie Arts Council. By the efforts of Robert Lewis, President, and Linda Reiners, Director, of the Jasper Foundation, the Carnegie structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 17, 1994. [Full Article at the Rensselaer Republican]

Search

News

News

$80 Million to Support 11 Human Services Agencies

The Lilly Foundation: Grants totaling $80 million to 11 human-services agencies that serve people with disabilities and...

Landrum Bolling, Earlham College Past president Passes At 104

Landrum Bolling, a 15-year president of Earlham College who also worked to achieve peace in the Middle East, has died...

Watchfulness, Vision and The Future

It's a good word for the church. In his instructions to the church at Colossae, Paul asks his readers to be watchful....

Calendar

Thu, Jan 25, 2018 - 08:00 am
The annual Calvin Symposium on Worship is a three-day conference held in January and sponsored

Popular Tools

Compare Yourself
How do you compare to the rest of the U.S. population?
Gender:
Age:
Education:
Religious Preference:
 

Widget provided by: